- I had bees get into the suit. One crawled around on the inside of the visor thing for 10 minutes. It waited until I was getting off the suit to sting me.
- I had a bee crawl up my leg, but I shook her out.
- The smoker went out, had to keep lighting it.
- I couldn't find the queen.
- Lots of panicky moments where they were attacking a gap above my glove, at the wrist. I did the mad bee dance to get them off.
- I moved the queen excluder down, but didn't know which side of it she was.
- I got stung 3 times, once just behind my ear.
....so this time Adrian came around to give me a hand.
|A fair bit of honey, but not quite enough to take away and extract.|
In three weeks since the top box was added, they had drawn all the comb, filled it with nectar, and even a few frames half-full of honey.
|Adrian in action. nice suit.....for a KKK rally....|
|The girls. I tried to get a photo of the queen, but she's shy.|
|One of the combs from the bottom box. We spotted the eggs, so we knew the queen was in here somewhere...|
|The girls, amongst some cells with nectar.|
|We spotted the queen on the second pass. Reassuring.|
|Lots of frayed wing-tips on these girls.|
|The queen excluder. There is still a lot of brood in the second box, but in theory they will hatch, then eggs will only be laid in the bottom box, the other two will fill with honey....?|
|Trouble keeps an eye on things from a safe distance.|